This is aimed at family members of applicants of residence visas who wish to live with them in Portugal.
Eligible family members are:
– The spouse or de facto partner;
– Children under the age of 18 or incapacitated (natural or adopted) dependent on the couple or one of the spouses or de facto partners;
– Children (natural or adopted), unmarried and over the age of 18, dependent on the couple or one of the spouses or de facto partners, who are studying at an educational establishment in Portugal;
– First-degree relatives in the ascending line of the resident or their spouse who are over 65, or under 65, provided they are dependent on them;
– Minor siblings, provided they are under the guardianship of the applicant, in accordance with a decision issued by the competent authority of the country of origin and if that decision is recognized by Portugal.
Note: does not apply to family members of holders of residence permits in Portugal.
The application for an accompanying person visa always requires proof of family ties.
Step 1 – Applying for a visa
The residence visa must be applied for at the Portuguese Consulate in the country of residence.
The visa issued entitles the holder to 2 entries into Portugal and is valid for 120 days, during which time the holder must travel to Portugal.
Step 2 – Applying for a residence permit
After entering Portugal, the applicant will have to attend an appointment with AIMA (Agency for Migration Integration and Asylum) to provide updated information and collect biometric data (photograph, fingerprints and signature).
Step 3 – Receiving the residence card
After the appointment, the residence card will be sent to the applicant’s registered address in Portugal.
The residence card is valid for 2 years. At the end of these 2 years, it can be renewed for a further 3 years. At the end of the 5 years, you can choose to apply for a permanent residence permit and/or Portuguese nationality.
Lamares, Capela & Associados provides its services to national and international individuals and companies.